“Don’t just count your years, make your years count.”
Historically, I spend mid-December being overly dramatic, reflecting on what I accomplished, what I plan to accomplish and what I want to do in the new year. I don’t know if it’s age, sage, quarantine, or what, but I have no desire to go there this year. My husband asked me how I felt about turning 43. I said that for the first time in a long time, I’m exactly where I want to be –personally and professionally. The old “proving” energy I used to carry with me is gone. I am not defined by my accomplishments, or what I do, but instead who I am.
It’s a really great place to be.
Since it’s my birthday, here are 43 pieces of advice that I credit to helping me live on-brand and on-purpose. I hope some of these inspire you!
1. You get back the energy you put into your business (positive or negative)
2. Success comes in CANs, Failure comes in CAN’Ts
3. Lead with Love
4. Pets make life better
5. The more you require someone to do, the less likely you are to get the sale
6. Relationships are everything
7. You are paid equally to how much you are willing to think
8. Food is life…comida is vida!
9. Don’t save your nice clothes for a special day, every day is a special day
10. “True friends stab you in the front.” -Oscar Wilde
11. “Evaluate the people in your life: then promote, demote, or terminate. You’re the CEO of your life.” –Tony Gaskins
12. We repeat mistakes in life until we learn from them
13. Don’t be afraid to walk away if things aren’t going your way
14. The only constant is change
15. Nothing makes someone more frustrated than not feeling heard…listen and understand…be the bigger person
16. Multi-tasking isn’t a thing…it’s not truly possible
17. Don’t ask someone to do something that you are not willing to do yourself
18. The more proactive you are, the less reactive you have to be
19. “When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.” -Maya Angelou
20. “Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t–you’re right.” -Henry Ford
21. Do what you do best, hire others to do the rest
22. Know your worth, OWN YOUR WORTH
23. Communicate expectations. Nobody can read your mind
24. Take time to celebrate things large and small
25. There are no shortcuts. Hard work pays off
26. Successful women need to surround themselves with successful women
27. Investing in ourselves is essential
28. You cannot get what you want until you have what you need
29. Nourish yourself to flourish
30. It’s ok to be a BITCH (it stands for Being In Total Control of Herself)
31. “Make your partner a real partner.”- Sheryl Sandberg
32. Learn, Give, Grow, Love and Laugh (my personal mantra)
33. Never stop being silly
35. Serve and support as your way to sell
36. Don’t take anything personally
37. Communication can make you or break you
38. Small steps make a big difference
39. Do it right the first time
40. What you resist truly does persist!
41. Don’t wait for what you want
42. Never, ever settle
43. Being a pleasure to work with pays
Thanks for reading!